Hakone-popular hot springs resort (onsen)
Hakone is surrounded by nature, such as Mount Hakone or Lake Hakone (Lake
of Ashi) which is a picturesque place of Mount Fuji.
Because of the steep mountain path, Hakone is also known for the most difficult passage of the Tokaido. The Tokugawa Shogunate set up the checkpoint at the top of Mount Hakone and questioned travelers relentlessly in the Edo period.
On the other hand, Hakone has been very popular with tourists all over the world as a therapeutic hot springs resort ( it's called "seven spas of Hakone" ) for a long time. In Hakone, there are many spa hotels and onsen ryokans which have rooms with outdoor bath or private bathroom, so you can relax and enjoy hot spring even if you hesitate to take a communal bath. It's great to enjoy beautiful scenery while taking a bath.
present Hakone and Mt. Fuji
Hakone in the Edo era (ukiyo-e by Hokusai)
- Narita International Airport
- Haneda Airport (Tokyo International Airport)
- JR CENTRAL (Central Japan Railway Company) Bullet train service between Tokyo Station to Shin-Osaka Station
- JR EAST (East Japan Railway Company) Narita Express service connecting Narita International Airport with main station in and around Tokyo
- Odakyu Electric Railway Company train, bus, cablecar, ropeway service in Hakone
- Keikyu (Keihin Electric Express Railway Company) express train service from Haneda Airport
- Airport Limousine Bus-Airport Transport Service
Local cuisine: Mago Tekka (a bowl of rice topped with tuna sliced and seasoned)
Spa Hotel and Ryokan List
- Fujiya Hotel (Miyanoshita spa) western style guest rooms with Hakone's natural hot spring water, private family bath, Japanese Kaiseki cuisine restaurant, relaxation salon.
- Yumoto Fujiya Hotel (Hakone Yumoto spa) near Hakone Youmoto Station, public hot spring spa, family bath, sauna, Sushi restaurant, Japanese garden restaurant.
- Kansuiro Ryokan (Tonosawa spa) therapeutic value: neuralgia, rheumatic ailments, fatigue, muscle pain, beautiful skin. open-air bath, private bathroom, luxurious Japanese cuisine.
- Oh-an (Hakone Yumoto spa) therapeutic value: weariness, neural pain, sore muscle, arthritic pain, poor blood circulation, all suits, traditional Japanese dishes.
- Yuugiriso (Ashinoko spa) therapeutic valued : joint pain, bruise, women's disease, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, chronic dermatitis. Outdoor public hot spring, indoor large public hot spring, family bath.
- Mikawaya Ryokan (Hakone Kowakidani spa) public open-air bath, traditional Meiji bath, private bath, hot springs spa resort amusement park, Japanese-style room with open-air bath, Typical Japanese cuisine.
- Okuyumoto (Hakone Yumoto spa) therapeutic valued : muscle pain, neuralgic pain, injuries. Japanese Kaiseki cuisine, massage, facial treatment, body treatment.
- Gora-Kansuiro (Gora spa) near Gora Station, the Showa Emperor and Empress stayed, open-air bath in the Japanese garden, 100% pure hot spring, traditional Japanese cuisine (Sashimi).
- Yamanochaya (Tonosawa spa) room with open-air bath, breakfast and dinner using only the freshest fish, meat and vegetables from the sea and mountains surrounding Hakone.
- Kijite Hoeido (Hakone Yumoto spa) therapeutic value : neuralgia, indirect muscle rheumatism, poor circulation, chronic poor digestive organ, a beautiful skin, outdoor hot spring, pheasant meat dishes.
- Hakone Suimeisou (Hakone Yumoto spa) near Hakone Yumoto Station, public natural spa bath open for 24 hours, Karaoke bar, Japanese Kaiseki cuisine.
- Hakone Yoshimatsu (Ashinoko spa) therapeutic value: neuralgia, rheumatism, joint pain, fracture, women's disease, diabetes. Communal open-air bath, private open-air bath, room with outdoor hot spring.
- Hakone Hotel Kowakien (Hakone Kowakidani spa) therapeutic value: neuralgia, rheumatic ailments, fatigue, muscle pain, beautiful skin. Indoor and outdoor hot spring, sauna room, Sushi bar.
- Hakone Hotel (Motohakone spa) public outdoor hot spring spa, room with Mount Fuji and Lake Ashi view, Teppanyaki restaurant, room service.
- Gora Tensui (Gora spa) large public bath, open-air bath, sauna, hot springs foot bath cafe, both western-style room and Japanese-style room.
- Hakone Kohansou（Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun ）Ashinoko lakeside Japanese restaurant
Tourist spot in Hakone
Hakone Museum of Art